R2R relies heavily on our small army of volunteers. They offer our clients valuable opportunities for renewal of social contact and bring a variety of invaluable life experiences and skills. Even a few hours a month can make all the difference to them and to you. Full induction and training is provided. The current minimum age for volunteers is 18.
Homelessness Support Volunteers
We aim to have a team of volunteers who could give a few hours each week: it doesn’t need to be every day. You would always be working with someone else and you would be given guidance and training. The main purpose is to provide assistance to clients with telephone access, clothing issue, and signposting to appropriate services and projects. Responsibilities would include:
- Working alongside the clients in order to respond to their needs and enable them to access appropriate support, to maintain their plans and to support them to develop their well-being and skills
- Promoting projects’ participation to clients as appropriate
- Maintaining records of client contacts and conducting initial assessments
- Receiving and sorting donations from supporters
- Participating in team meetings and appropriate training events
At our three afternoon and two evening Drop-Ins, around 25 people join us for hot food and hot and cold drinks, with packed lunches for those sleeping rough. In addition to meeting basic needs, our afternoon sessions aim to help the participants move on by providing various activities to help them reintegrate into society.
What: Volunteers help set up the room, cook, serve food and drink, help wash-up and/or talk with clients and join in activities – whatever you would like to do.
Where: Skinner Street URC
When: Monday & Thursday afternoons, Tuesday & Friday evenings
Time: 12.30pm – 3.00pm, 6.30pm – 9.00pm
Other: If you could help out even just once a month, you would be very welcome.
Get In Touch!
Need more information from us? Let us know…